Our History

A group of “psalm-singing” Associate Reformed Presbyterians began worshiping together in the Greenwood City Hall in 1911.  The first pastor to this group was Dr. E. B. Kennedy of Due West.  The First Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church of Greenwood was formally organized on November 8, 1914 under the auspices of Second Presbytery, with 17 charter members and Rev. John T. Young as pastor.

After worshipping in City Hall, the Courthouse and the Salvation Army Hall, the congregation moved to a bungalow church on the corner of Monument and Court Streets in 1917.  

In 1925 a larger church building was erected on the corner of Calhoun and Lander Streets which was to serve the congregation for over 50 years.  The congregation of 64 members held its first worship service in this building on August 9, 1925 and its final service on April 3, 1977.

The congregation, with 208 active (248 total) members, held its first worship service at its present location on Cokesbury Road on Easter, April 10, 1977.  The $736,000 total cost of the 6.5 acres and sanctuary and educational building was paid off in 8 years.  In 1998 the social hall was enlarged and a second educational wing was completed at a cost of $ 603,000 which was totally paid off that same year.